Tuesday, September 6, 2022

miso walk part 1 of 3

 

One thing I have in common with osprey is that we’re both beachcombers. There’s a special bond among us who roam the beach. There are those that search for sea glass and have been doing this for as long as glass bottles have been plentiful. Blue glass reminds me of images of roaming rivers that curl like a blue dragon, the bends as soft as the curves of the glass smoothed by the ocean’s tumble. Blue beach glass is at the apex of a beachcomber’s world. But the apex is actually a plateau that derives its character from the frame of mind you enter the beachcombing. When locked in the house all winter with work and chores, the first day in February that I go to the beach, just to be there, feels like a vacation even when it’s cold and damp. I am soon drawn toward the necklace at the water’s edge. My mind unfurls and without even trying, my body relaxes.  Perhaps red glass is more rare than blue. It does not matter. I wander the beach, finding this smooth shell, broken but beautiful, and without realizing it I am moving like a water dragon. I move up where the tide crested, but where the water recedes, there is a downward curve, and I move down closer to the water.  As I follow the wrack line the beachcombing has now become the ocean’s labyrinth walk. I match the mindless mindfulness of the labyrinth but hug the boundary of the sea. So, it has been said and so my mentor, who I have decided to simply call Mentor, roams the beaches of Sandy Hook frequently. She will tell you that you cannot artificially cook glass and find it to have the same qualities as glass that’s gone from boil to simmer and back to boil again at the water’s edge in the salty sea. And you cannot expect your mind to uncurl without letting go of the intention to do so. There are standards and there are practices.

Mentor told me that these same standards apply to miso. ‘Why miso, why now?’ I wondered to myself. Although, my mentor’s mention of the blue glass had my mind hop to blue dragons, and that had a deep resonance with me.  And then I realized it’s because it reminded me of the dragon who was curled inside my head.  I sometimes wondered if it was the one speaking to me and I only thought my little Skunk osprey friend was talking.  I also wondered why the dragon curled inside my head had not paid me a visit since that first time. But the infrequent opportunity to walk with my mentor brought me back to her words. Time is precious and she is like blue sea glass.

 I am sorry to say that I missed the start of her thoughts on this topic because my mind drifted again thinking about the Crow Women and Virg. Was there something Virg was trying to tell me when she poked her head through the wind column?  When I resumed listening, Mentor was saying, “Because all of life is about tastes and smells, seeing beauty, the discoveries, the sense of fullness that wonder brings, the making it what it is or helping it along to be what it can be. We sometimes get set in the direction and more oftentimes are bumped off course.”

Again, my keppe was open to wandering thoughts. ‘Maybe this is why rivers and bees do the viggle vaggle? Or is there a greater purpose in all the turns and curves?’ I could not stop my mind from taking a few turns. Maybe my mentor was hypnotizing me? Some have said that the sex of a fish depends upon how many twists and turns its mother took back to the spawning area. For one creature, a turn or bend in the road just provides a different view, for another it can be as profound as changing the course of its life’s story. Even changing the course of another creature, because all stories in nature are related. 




miso walk
is a chapter in bird dreams, riding hope, - sometimes a fable, weaving  our connections to birds,  meandering rivers and dragons, fermenting miso and consciousness,

wetlands, our extended kin and ancestors, our mentors, and Wisdom.

Inspired by actual events and a sense of place and belonging by a woman who addresses the reader  on behalf of the earth

 

Here’s my links for more writing and copies of my books

https://amzn.to/3F5N7No   
https://linktr.ee/fredakarpf

No comments:

Post a Comment